Pregnancy and Parenting
Title IX protects Pregnant and Parenting individuals. Title IX requires equal access and equal participation for Pregnant and Parenting individuals in educational programs and activities including work, clubs, sports, honor societies, leadership opportunities, and other activities.
Adjustments and Assistance
Appalachian will provide reasonable and responsive adjustments to a Pregnant and Parenting Individual's program including, but not limited to:
- assistance with parking considerations
- communication and support for reasonable and appropriate breaks for standing, lactation, nursing, etc.
- providing support for one's physical environment (i.e. accessible seating)
- requesting Faculty Notifications through the Office of the Dean of Students,
- requesting an Incomplete in a course when applicable and appropriate.
For assistance, please contact the Title IX Coordinator.
Absences due to pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions will be excused with that documentation from a medical professional indicating that such absences are deemed necessary.
Please be advised Appalachian may request information from you including, but not limited to, documentation from a medical professional, to assist in providing the same adjustments, accommodations, and/or support services available to others with similar medical needs. This request for documentation is in alignment with all processes in which additional support is provided to any student, employee, or guest.
Per institutional policy, documentation from health care providers are asked to be submitted in one of the three following ways:
- Fax to the Office of Title IX Compliance at 828.626.6646.
- Hard copy sent via US Mail to the Office of Title IX Compliance, 123 IG Greer Hall, ASU Box 32053, Boone, NC 28606-2053
- In-person delivery to the Office of Title IX Compliance, 123 IG Greer Hall, ASU Box 32053, Boone, NC 28606-2053
We are unable to receive medical documentation via email. Thank you for your understanding as we work to maintain your confidential medical information securely.